Ultra moist and flavorful homemade Banana Walnut Muffins are one of the best breakfast and snack recipes you can make with ripe bananas!
Few things are better than starting your morning with homemade, perfectly moist and oh-so-flavorful Banana Nut Muffins and a hot cup of coffee. Banana lovers will also love my Sour Cream Banana Nut Bread, my Brown Butter Banana Bars, and my Homemade Banana Pancakes!
Making a good muffin is something that I take great pride in.
Having grown up knowing only muffin mixes, I find it especially challenging and yet rewarding to create a beautiful muffin that not only has great flavor and a moist inside, but one that rises tall.
I’m made my fair share of muffins that are super dense and not very appetizing.
I’m happy to say that this muffin is pretty much the opposite of gross. My entire family loved them.
Why these muffins are so moist:
Mashed banana always makes any baked goods sweet and delicious. I used 2 whole cups of ripe mashed banana. YUM!
I also used both buttermilk and vanilla yogurt in this recipe. Most of the time, things like that happen because I just so happen to have both buttermilk and vanilla yogurt in the refrigerator, but it works!
If you don’t have buttermilk or yogurt, you can substitute with sour cream, if you’d like.
How to make these homemade banana walnut muffins:
Every time I make muffins, its like a science experiment. I try a little of this and a little of that, then I cross my fingers and hope it works. This time it did.
- This recipe starts with brown butter. I use brown butter in my cooking all the time.
- Once you’ve browned your butter and let it cool, this recipe is simple. Just combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl, all the wet ingredients in another, and then mix by hand just until it all comes together. Finish by folding in your mashed ripe banana and the walnuts.
- Use a cookie scoop to easily distribute the batter to the muffin tin wells, then bake in your preheated oven until golden brown. Easy!
So, if you’ve been looking for a really tasty banana muffin with walnuts, you’ll love this recipe. Enjoy!
Banana Walnut Muffins
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or substitute cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 6 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups banana about 4 medium sized, mashed, ripe
- 3/4 cup raw walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease muffin tins with butter.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking power, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, and salt.
- In a medium sized pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Swirl occasionally to ensure butter is cooking evenly. As the butter melts, it will begin to foam and the color will get darker. Scrape bottom of pan with wooden spoon to release any brown specs. Once you start smelling the nutty aroma, remove browned butter from heat and allow to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk, yogurt, vanilla, and mostly cooled browned butter together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients. Fold together and do not over mix. Fold in the mashed banana and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin tins and bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes (mine took longer because I used a stone muffin pan). When done cooking, immediately remove from muffin tins and allow to cool on cooling rack.
- Use a cookie scoop to easily distribute the batter to the muffin tin wells
- Sour cream can be used as a substitute for buttermilk and/or yogurt, if needed
- You can omit the walnuts, but I absolutely love them in the muffins
This recipe was originally posted in May 2015 but was updated in October 2019 for your reading pleasure.
Love easy muffin recipes?
You’ll love these!
- Tropical Muffins
- Black Tea Vanilla Muffins
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins
- Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Muffins
- Pomegranate Orange Muffins
- Healthy Bran Flake Muffins
- Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins