Take your mashed potatoes to the next level by serving this delicious Loaded Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole as the perfect side dish at your next dinner.
Oh man, these were sooooo good. I’ve been wanting to make a cheesy potato casserole for quite some time and I’m happy to say that I nailed it! You and your family are totally going to love this recipe. Just about every single time I plan out what I’m going to serve for dinner, it revolves around a protein, a starch, and a veggie. Do you do that too?
I had to show a picture of the potatoes because its my new favorite cooking method. I used to peel and chop my potatoes before I boiled them. Gone are those days! All I do now is score the skin all the way around, cover them in water, and boil until soft. Then, as soon as the potatoes are cool enough to handle, the skins slip right off. If you haven’t tried this method, I insist you must! Prior to putting your potatoes in the casserole dish, you basically make mashed potatoes that you would happily set out on the table as the perfect side dish to your family’s dinner.
But wait – all it takes is a couple more steps and a few more minutes to transform them into the loaded cheesy mashed potatoes that you know you want.
Oh yes. You see what I’m talking about now, don’t you? Trust me. These will be the best potatoes you’ve ever had.
How much would you love this one your dinner plate? YUM!
- 2 pounds gold potatoes
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 ounces cheddar (I used a cheddar gruyere blend), shredded and divided
- 4 tablespoons (half a stick) butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons onion dip mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly ground pepper
- garnish with 4 scallions, sliced
- To easily cook your potatoes, score a circle through the skin around the middle of each potato. Add whole potatoes to a large pot, cover with water, cover pot with lid, and bring to a roaring boil. Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender, about 20-30 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes. Drain off water and allow potatoes to cool enough to handle. Peel off skin with fingers.
- While potatoes are cooking, cook bacon until crisp. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine half of the shredded cheese, butter, sour cream, milk, onion dip mix, garlic powder, and pepper. Add warm peeled potatoes and mash. Combine to desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lovingly butter a 9x9 casserole dish. Add potato mixture to greased dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. Cook in preheated oven until potatoes are heated through and cheese has melted, about 5-10 minutes. Top finished potatoes with sliced green onions.
- Serve with your favorite protein and an easy vegetable side. Enjoy!