Everyone has their own method of making homemade Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, but this is the recipe I use and our family enjoys it for dinner every week!
I obviously love to try and make new recipes. If I didn’t, you’d have about five things to look at on my blog. Not very interesting. But I have many many many nights where I don’t want to make something new. Either it gets dark at 4pm and I don’t want to make dinner at lunch time just so I can take the photos, or I’m just not feeling creative. This spaghetti with meat sauce is one of my go to recipes. This recipe is something that I completely made up from scratch and have slowly tweaked it over the years to perfection. The meat sauce makes a ton so I always freeze half of it for another night. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to pasta, my pesto zoodles drive that carb train right into the ground.
Remember the Sopranos? I can’t even begin to tell you how many times we ate pasta when that series was running on HBO (and again when we got the DVDs). I couldn’t watch Tony Soprano eat delicious italian food with a big glass of wine without craving it myself. I solely blame that show for at least 6 pounds of my permanent weight that I have not been able to lose. Anyhoo, if you’ve been looking for a new way to enjoy your spaghetti with meat sauce, take a look at the recipe to see if I do anything different!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more if preferred)
- 2 (25 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- 1 pound spaghetti
- In heavy bottom stockpot over medium high heat, brown ground beef and pork with the onion. Cook, while stirring occasionally to evenly cook, about 15-20 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking add the garlic and stir.
- Add all of the spices to the meat and stir. I don't add salt because the spaghetti sauce has plenty.
- Cover meat with sauce and heat over low until ready to serve.
- Cook pasta (you know how, right?) and serve with meat sauce. This is a large recipe and I usually freeze half for a future dinner.