This Sausage Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is the perfect weekend breakfast any time of year, but my family especially loves it on holiday mornings.
This breakfast casserole *almost* didn’t make it onto my blog. You see, sometimes I like to make food just because I know it will taste good and my family will enjoy it and out of protest, I refuse to photograph it so that I have no obligation other than to enjoy eating it. This one was just too good and because the recipe was my husband’s idea, he made me photograph it so he could get credit. Even though I made it, I will give him full credit for the idea because, yes, it was damn delicious.
He absolutely despises breakfast casseroles made with bread. I love them. But, I don’t love making a huge casserole and being the only one who eats it. He recommended making it with tater tots instead of bread. Holy yum – this was good. I absolutely love the combination of ketchup and Tobasco on any kind of egg/potato dish that I eat and this was no exception. It ended up being the perfect family breakfast and made for a delicious, easy, and hearty weekday breakfast throughout my work week as well!
- 1 (32 ounce) package tater tots
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and cook tater tots in a 9x13 dish until golden brown according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage with pepper, mushrooms, and onion in a large saute pan over medium heat until crumbly, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and ground mustard. Add cooked sausage mixture as well as half the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Pour egg and sausage mixture over tater tots and top with remaining cheese. Cover with aluminium foil and cook for 40-45 minutes until eggs have set, allowing casserole to cook uncovered for last 5-10 minutes so that the top turns golden brown.
- Casserole can be prepared the night before, if desired, and cooked the morning of.
- I love eating this casserole with ketchup and tobasco.