It’s easy to make your own Sage Breakfast Sausage, and it just tastes better knowing you added all the spices yourself without any nasty preservatives.
Did you know that I use this same recipe to make my COUNTRY SAUSAGE GRAVY?
I had never made my own breakfast sausage until we got our own half pig direct from a ranch. If you are able to source your meat direct from a farm you know and trust, let me tell you – it is 1000 times better than any plastic wrapped meat you’ll find in the store. Making your own breakfast sausage is no exception. If you want to make yourself ill, take a look at the ingredients in a package of Jimmy Dean sausage. I just did a quick google search and this is what I found: INGREDIENTS: PORK, WATER, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: CORN SYRUP, SALT, SPICES, DEXTROSE, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE. Vomit. Where are the herbs? Where are the seasonings you can pronounce? What the hell does monosodium glutamate do and why would you eat it? Yuck.
Seriously, it takes like 5 minutes to measure out the ingredients and mix them together, and I can tell you that this breakfast sausage tastes so much better than that pre-packaged crap from sad pigs. Now go make it.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon sage, dried or minced fresh
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like heat)
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram (fresh if you have it)
- pinch of ground cloves
- In medium sized bowl, thoroughly combine all ingredients. Its easiest if you use your hands to mix.
- Heat a skillet over medium low heat. Form sausage into patties and cook until brown, about 5 minutes per side.