Impress your guests by grilling up this Flatbread with Truffle Gouda and Arugula. Its the perfect appetizer, simple to make, and has an earthy fresh flavor.
If you’re looking for a quick, easy, and delicious appetizer, look no further. You can make your own pizza dough or you can buy some that’s already made at the grocery store. Whatever you do, don’t use whole wheat flour. I mean, you can, and I did. I had to because I was at my sister’s house and that’s all she had in her kitchen and I’m not the kind of girl that will drive to the store for just one ingredient. I made the silly assumption that she would have regular old all purpose flour, which works almost as well as bread flour. Alas, whole wheat was all she had. It worked, but your best bet is to use bread flour. You’ll also want to roll your dough out as thin as possible. This will give you a nice thin cracker like crust.
The real star in this flatbread is the truffle gouda. You can get it at a store like Whole Foods. Fair warning: this stuff is expensive, but some things are just worth the extra coin. I have a hard time parting with money for an expensive bag or clothing, but when it comes to good food, I have a hard time holding back. That being said, I will slap the hand of anyone trying to steal a piece of my truffle gouda (i.e. my brother-in-law). Pair this exquisite cheese with some spicy dark arugula and tart lemon juice and your mouth will thank you.
- pizza dough (store bought or make your own homemade pizza dough)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces cheese, grated (truffle gouda, gouda, parmesan)
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface to a 12x8 inch rectangle with an 1/8 - 1/4 inch uniform thickness. Once desired shape is achieved, allow to rest for 10 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil on top of flat bread and rub to cover.
- Set grill to medium high heat. Invert flatbread, oiled side down, onto grill. Cook until grill marks appear and sides of bread are dry, 3 to 5 minutes. Oil top of flat bread, flip, spread a layer of grated truffle cheese, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer flat bread back to baking sheet. Top with arugula and lemon juice.