This Dark Chocolate Vanilla Bean Hot Cocoa is a rich and decadent holiday treat and tastes amazing when topped with a homemade peppermint marshmallow.
Hot cocoa or hot chocolate? I’ve grown up calling it hot chocolate but I recognize that a good part of the country refers to it as hot cocoa. Much like soda vs. pop. It feels weird to call a soda “pop”, bug I suppose that’s a California thing to call it soda? That’s what I’ve always called it. Anyway, enough about that. Let’s talk about this amazing hot
cocoa chocolate cocoa. This stuff is a far cry from the instant just-add-water garbage we grew up on as kids. This creation is more like a rich drinking chocolate (which are quite popular here in Oregon) rather than your standard hot chocolate. Its probably even closer to a dessert than just a drink.
If you start any recipe with a fragrant delicious vanilla bean, you know its going to be good. Add some dark chocolate and I’m sold. Top that with some homemade peppermint marshmallows and this girl is in taste bud heaven.
Because I use dark chocolate, this drink isn’t too sweet. In my opinion, its perfectly sweet as it is and the marshmallows add that final touch. If you don’t like dark chocolate, you can certainly use milk chocolate instead, or you can add sugar, but this is how this Self Proclaimed Foodie likes it.
You know I love my close up shots. I mean, how could I not show you that melted marshmallow goodness floating on top of that warm dark chocolate vanilla bean liquid heaven?
And of course, the after shot, complete with a trail of vanilla bean goodness. YUM!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- homemade peppermint marshmallows
- In small saucepan over medium heat, heat milk and half-and-half with vanilla bean until milk is almost to the boiling point. As it cooks, swirl in pan to help distribute flavors of vanilla. When milk starts to coat the bottom of the pan, you'll know its done.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir until fully melted. Remove vanilla bean before serving.
- Top with peppermint marshmallows, if desired, and roll them around in the chocolate to speed up the melting.